Sunday 15 October 2017

ADLG: Lysimachus vs Seleucus

Another game of ADLG using 28mm Successor armies. Matt arrived with Seleucid reinforcements in the shape of an elephant and archers, while I used the army of Lysimachus.

Seleucids end up attacking, and I have some useful terrain on my side of the table.

Seleucid mounted wing opposing my right.

Phalanx in the Seleucid centre with Galatians on each flank.

Elephant with Bowmen and Medium Spear opposing my left.

On my left I have some Light Cavalry, Lancers and Javelinmen.

Then my Phalanx in the centre.

Then Elephants with Medium Swordsmen on my right.


Seleucids advance, light cavalry riding wide to get around my right flank.

I advance to meet the Selecuids.

My lancers don't fancy facing off against the  Seleucid Elephant, bow and spear, and instead march toward my centre and right.
 


Seleucids close to bow range.

Given I'm going to be outflanked on my right, I charge in to try and break a hole with my elephants. 

A lancer rides to reinforce the right flank.
 
My other lancers aim for a gap in the Seleucid line that has opened to the left (my left) of their phalanx.


A unit of my medium swordsmen is destroyed by the enemy Phalanx immediately making a hole in the middle of my own line which isn't a good start.

And the Seleucids press home the attack charging into the elepahnts and medium sword with their own lancers.
 

And their Phalanx crashes into mine too, with medium spearmen moving over to guard their flank against my lancers. 

Seleucid bow shoot fairly ineffectively at my Javelinmen, and I'm happy to tie down these troops like this.


Battle in the centre.


I charge into the spearmen with my lancers but they hold.

While units on both sides take casualties in a melee down the line.


One of my elephants breaks a hole in the cavalry line, but my swordsmen are struggling to hold off the Seleucid lancers even with elephants helping them.

  My Lancers struggle on against the Spearmen. 

The Seleucid phalanx commander turns his file and charges into the flank of an elephant.


And the Seleucid elephant turns around and comes over to block the weak point in their line, backing up the spearmen against my lancers.

My right flank starts to crumble, though the Selecid lancers have now lost two units against the elephants.

But my flanked elephant and the remainder of my swordsmen are destroyed.

My lancers batter down the spear only to meet the enemy elephant.

Seleucid cavalry flank charges my elephants.



And the Seleucid elephant advances on my lancers.
 

One of my phalanx files destroys its opponent...

But too late as my army has reached its break point of 22/22. Seleucids are at 17/20 of their break point.
 

 
My remaining elephant at least manages to destroy another Seleucid cavalry unit before the end...
 

Close game but well done to Matt who managed to break my army with some bold cavalry attacks proving decisive!

10 comments:

  1. Very enjoyable batrep, always good to have commentary with lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice report !!!! I have a queation about adlg Do you find that people like using pike ? Are the pike blocks worth the points? Every time I see a successor army in battle its always with Maxed elephants and Medium infantry and only three to four pike blocks . It just seems to few do they suck ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Fiore! I think Pike are good, even mediocre pike in sufficient numbers seem popular in ADLG. My most successful list with Successors has 8 Pike blocks, but I wanted to use lots of light troops and my elephants for this game :) Six Pike blocks seems a common number in competition lists at 200 points.

      Delete
    2. Thanks I am in the middle of paint a boat load and didn't want them to stink in game . BTW what type of figs are you both using ? Thanks !

      Delete
    3. Good luck with the painting Fiore! Most of Matt's figures are Warlord, mine are Victrix (infantry), and Aventine (cav, elephants).

      Delete